Wednesday, December 6, 2006

preparacion

Hello my friends!

At the suggestion of a pal who will remain nameless (a woman who is prone to a bit of blogging herself, I dare say) I'm doing something very un-Mozhan-like and starting this blog about my trip to Buenos Aires.

For clarification:

1) I am going alone.
2) I am going for one month, or as they say in Spanish, un mes (those who tire easily of the "or as they say in Spanish" joke: run! Spare yourselves now! I will be using it with a bit of recklessness in the next...mes).
3) I have rented an apartment in a lovely little part of Buenos Aires called Palermo Hollywood.
4) I am very excited, and a little nervous.

I hope to keep this updated with some regularity, but as I am new to the blogosphere, you'll forgive me if I'm a bit cybershy.

Here's what everyone keeps telling me:

1) The minute I get there I'll find some gorgeous Argentinian to show me around.
2) I'll fall in love with a gorgeous Argentinian, marry him, and never return.
3) Argentinian men are gorgeous.

There's a theme here, as you can see.

But for those of you who doubt me, rest assured: I am NOT marrying an Argentinian on this trip and I SHALL return! And while I am not BLIND, I have not embarked on this adventure to meet men!

"Well, why IS she going?" Well, a few reasons:

1) I have been wanting to learn Spanish for a long time now, but have traditionally found beginning language classes quite boring, and thought it would be better and more fun to live in a Spanish-speaking country.
2) I received an extra residual check that I wasn't expecting, and instead of, ahem, starting to pay off my student loans, I decided to blow it all on this trip!
3) I have been longing to take a trip on my own. In all of my various travels, I have either traveled with someone (or as they say in Spanish, con alguien), to visit someone, or through some sort of educational program.
4) I'd like to finally get better at Tango.
5) I just wanted to!

My mother, ever supportive of my sometimes untraditional endeavours (haha), informed me today that one of the Bush twins got her purse swiped while dining at a restaurant in Buenos Aires, even though she had TWENTY-SIX bodyguards!!! She also told me, in the same breath, that I shouldn't "dress like I have money" so as not to DRAW ATTENTION TO MYSELF, lest I get robbed. Hmm. I guess I should definitely reconsider the 26 bodyguards I had planned to bring along.

More from Argentina!

M

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I love that you have a blog!!

It could be you said...

fotos, mas fotos, por favor

Unknown said...

I have never had a close personal friend who has started a blog. Now that you've started one I feel like I've lost my innocence. I feel dirty. Tainted. Unclean. And yet somehow, mysteriously, embarrassingly, I feel thrilled.

Mamacita said...

My little Miss M.,

I already miss you. How are you doing down there? I want to know everything!

K.